Adaptation Online was launched in 2008 as a clearinghouse for climate adaptation information. Submissions and comments are welcome.
Contact Adaptation Online: adaptonline@gmail.com

Thursday, July 18, 2013

U.S. Farmers Views on Climate Change

A recent article in Scientific American summarizes various studies on the attitudes of U.S. farmers toward climate change. While a majority believe that changes in the climate have been observed, only a minority attribute those changes to human activity.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Caribbean Climate Online Risk and Adaptation Tool

The Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC) and Acclimatise recently released the Caribbean Climate Online Risk and Adaptation TooL(CCORAL), a web-based tool designed to help decision makers in the Caribbean integrate climate resilience into their decision making and planning processes. CCORAL guides users through several steps, helping them to quickly identify whether their activity is likely to be influenced by climate change and is a priority for further investigation, understand climate influence at each stage of their activity, and take action to increase climate resilience.

Friday, July 12, 2013

U.S. Energy Sector Vulnerabilities

As part of the U.S. Administration’s efforts to support national climate change adaptation planning and to advance the U.S. Department of Energy’s goal of promoting energy security, DOE has published a report summarizing the state of knowledge regarding current and potential future impacts of climate change on the U.S. energy sector. 

Adaptation in the Oil and Gas Industry

IPIECA (the oil and gas industry association for environmental and social issues) has release a brief overview of adaptation within the oil and gas industry, based on an IPIECA workshop held in London in October of 2012. Though brief and lacking specific detail about adaptation needs or options, it evidences private industry's preference to view adaptation through a risk management lens.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Climate Change Adaptation for Canadian Agriculture

Last week, the Adaptation to Climate Change Team at Simon Fraser University released a new study that explores local, national and international climate change-driven challenges to food production as well as new opportunities and potential adaptation responses. The report makes three high-level recommendations to enhance adaptation efforts:

  1. Integrated water resource and agri-food sustainability strategies to inform science-based and economically viable resource development, and plans and management actions.
  2. Sustainable food production plans based on agri-climate zones to achieve sustainable, multiple-benefits flows to avoid costly, underperforming, narrowly determined responses.
  3. Effective integrated adaptation and risk reduction practices rather than incomplete, inconsistent or contradictory uses of adaptation and risk reduction practices.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Climate Ready Scotland

The Scottish government has prepared a consultation document toward Scotland's Climate Change Adaptation Programme. The report solicits feedback on the Programme, as required by section 53 of the
Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009, which sets out Scottish Ministers objectives, proposals and policies for addressing the impacts identified by the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment (CCRA) that have been identified as a priority for Scotland over the next five years.

Hong Kong Business Primer on Adaptation

Hong Kong’s Climate Change Business Forum has released a report on adaptation for the city’s business sector. The report identifies real, predictable and calculable risks to business continuity, and seeks to advance the discourse among private sector entities regarding adaptation to climate variability and change.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Climate & the U.S. Flood Insurance Program

The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency has released an assessment of the effects of future climate change and population growth on the U.S. National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The study concludes that floodplain area in the United States is projected to grow by 45% (median estimate) by 2100. Approximately 30% of this increase is due to increased flood discharge due to increasing population density while the other 70% is due to climate change. This increase in floodplain area is projected to translate into an 80% increase in NFIP policies, a 50% increase in losses per policy, and a 40% increase (current dollars) in NFIP premiums.